02 03 The World in Relief: Time keeps on slipping into the future 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Time keeps on slipping into the future

34

Summer in the Midwest has been a combination of searing heat and unrelenting drought. I feel as out of shape as if it were February, hibernating in my basement studio dressed in shorts. Questions abound -- when is this going to end? What does this mean regarding climate change? Should I change the front yard landscape to cactus? Will we still be able to get that fabulous bi-color corn from the Farmer's Market? Will future summers also be this hot?

Elizabeth Busey. Détente.
Linoleum Reduction Print,
(28 x 9in), 2012.
My latest print looks at the world within a much longer time frame. A Bloomington collector friend suggested I look at the mountain ranges in southern Colorado. I learned that these mountains were formed by several different geological upheavals over a vast time span. This movement, along with the punishing effects of water, wind and sun, have created ranges that are alive with serpentine energy.

I wanted to consider what a raking sunset would look like on our serpent on one side, with a corresponding shadow on the other. I relied on a mask (or frisket as I learned in a previous post.) The print began with a pale pink color over the entire block, and then I worked on the sunset side with warm colors while reserving the shadow side. When enough material had been carved away along the spine, I could start inking both sides of the block with some careful rolling techniques. Finally, the last two layers were the same blues and purples on both sides. I find that sharing some colors helps to unify the work.

The heat has subsided a bit here, and a rainstorm has given us the illusion of normalcy. A watering ban began today, however, so our landscape will continue to change and adapt. With my work I try to see the beauty and complexity of forces beyond my control, and yet I am still faced with the realization that some of this summer must be caused by human actions.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38