02 03 The World in Relief: Blessings of a do-over 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Blessings of a do-over

34
When I describe my printing process to non-printmakers, I often stress that because I am using only one block, if I make a mistake or I don't like something, I can't go back. In truth, there are many times when I don't like something, but I just continue and see if another color layer can make it look different.

I'm working on a new print that has clouds. I had originally wanted to carve the clouds in a sort of engraving style, where you could see my carving marks. Kind of like Gustave Baumann's Malapi. Sadly I didn't achieve this, as my clouds looked more like a dust-up of cute cottontails. But I couldn't go back, so I began to carve the block for the next layer...and I carved away the wrong area.

At first, I could not speak. My mind whirled with strategies to fix my block...glue (?)  -- this never works with linoleum.  Another block(?) --  it would be impossible to get everything to line up just right. I was sunk. I called my husband who very wisely said "I think that print was going somewhere. You should just start again."

Start again? I had been working on the print for one and one-half weeks and had sunk materials costs, but he was right, the only thing to do was start again. With a deep breath I went and purchased more MDF, and he helped me cut a new block that afternoon.

A print in progress with new and improved clouds.

For my new clouds, I chose to use my rotary tool and some engraving bits. Four color layers later, and we are at this stage. The clouds are definitely an improvement over my previous attempt.

I recently gave a presentation about my work to a printmaking class at a local high school. I asked the students to write down (anonymous) comments for me. Several of the comments noted that they didn't think they could do something so involved, so intricate, so difficult. I wondered if that was really true.  I am not one of those people who is tremendously artistically gifted. My work has progressed only because I continue to make prints - some of them worthy of framing and some worthy of being flipped over for test prints for the next block.

Time, patience, and the willingness to not give up are so much more important than raw talent. Everyone has to start somewhere. In my case it was a bright green Christmas card I created in my kitchen when I was 13. Luckily I remembered to carve the words backwards. Certainly I have improved since then.

Now it is time to hold my breath, and check my drawings carefully, so I carve away the right places. This print has taken much longer than I anticipated, but I am glad for the opportunity to improve.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38