02 03 The World in Relief: Many things on the horizon 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Many things on the horizon

34
Elizabeth Busey.  Tranquil Terraces Dawning.
Linoleum Reduction Print, 10 x 33in, 2013.
For a person who loves landscapes, I struggle with the convention of having a proper horizon. I am enchanted by the Asian art esthetic which allows us to fully experience the spiritual aspects of landscape. So when I was faced with one oddly shaped piece of linoleum (and a delay in receiving new linoleum,) I decided to create an homage to the terraced rice paddies. 

One challenge of this print was to vary the colors of the paddies in each section, while still having the section read as one area and not separate. I also used a bright orange color, which is fairly new to me, but I plan to use again in the near future. I drew inspiration from a Mark Rothko painting at the Art Institute of Chicago, which was so luscious it made me want to rush out and find a ripe tangerine to eat. The photographs really don't do it justice.


Elizabeth Busey, Breath Intertwined,
Linoleum Reduction Print, 25 x 17in, 2012.
I recently received a bit of good news as well. My print Breath Intertwined was accepted at the 2013 Boston Printmaker's North American Print Biennial. The print will be on display at the 808 Gallery at Boston University, with a show opening on October 27th. Since that is my birthday, it seemed a great excuse to have a long weekend in Boston. The show will be open to the general public from 3 -5pm on October 27th, and run through December 20th. I'm looking forward to getting a closer look at some fantastic printmaking.


Labor Day Weekend is approaching in the United States. For anyone near to Bloomington, Indiana, please consider coming to the Fourth Street Festival of the Arts and Crafts. It will be held Saturday, August 31st from 10 - 6, and Sunday, September 1st from 10 -  5. This is an artist-run show with interesting work by artists from Montana, Florida, Texas, and yes, Indiana. I have a shady booth, so don't be deterred by the toasty weather.
Hope to see you there.



Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38