02 03 The World in Relief: Relief Printmaking as Topography in Action 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Relief Printmaking as Topography in Action

34

My new series, Beloved, looks at land areas at the edge -- places where land and water combine in spectacular fashion. Places that will be lost with sea-level rise.

It is often hard for people to imagine how I go about creating my linocuts. You have to think backwards, I tell them, like in watercolor. I usually have a pencil outline of the most important features of the image -- in this case, land and water. After these sections are marked, I use colored pencils to remind myself where I should carve. Here is a progression from one of the linocuts:
Water is drawn in blue. Places to carve away pink.
I cleaned off the colored pencils and printed the above block. When I took my colored pencils to it for the next layer, it looked like the block below...

Water is blue, vegetation green, carve away in red.
I had a fabulous morning grooving to Whitehorse while drawing on the (above) block. I decided how the foliage would look, and how the last layer of lighter sand would flow. I covered the entire block with pencil and used my trusty U-gouge to create this:

The blue and green areas will still catch the ink...and the beige areas won't.
I'm almost sorry to clean off the colored pencil, but I need to start printing the water. Everything left not carved on the block will be printing blue for right now, but don't worry, it will be OK.  I hope.

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38