02 03 The World in Relief: It takes my breath away... 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

It takes my breath away...

34
To truly live as an artist, I believe I have to not only create something, but also share it with others. I had a splendid weekend meeting people at the Fourth Street Festival who wanted to have my art in their homes. I even delivered several pieces to homes for potential collectors to consider for the week. I see my work as adding to their well-being through their home environment.

This past June I had a remarkable encounter with a collector who had a specific purpose for my work...

Elizabeth Busey. Fibonacci. Reduction Linocut, 18 x 18in, Ed of 22.
During my Open Studios tour event, I met a woman and her adult daughter and son-in-law. She wanted to purchase something for the couple, and they couldn't come to a decision. So we agreed I would deliver two pieces for them to consider on the following Monday. A quick call before I was leaving asked that I also bring a framed Fibonacci, as this woman had decided she would like this for herself. I was of course thrilled, and tucked everything in the car.

I later learned that this woman had Stage IV pancreatic cancer. She wanted to hang the Fibonacci in a place where she could see it from her bed. For the limited time she had left, she wanted to spend time looking at the undulating and never-ending patterns of seeds flowing from a green center melding into yellows and oranges.

A visit with my new collector resulted in a tour of her home. Much loved artwork hung throughout the house, some inherited, some created by her family, some by the woman herself. I got to see the Fibonacci in her bedroom. Her willingness to share with me at such a vulnerable time in her life was tremendously meaningful.

My collector passed away this week. The Fibonacci will now live in her daughter's home, where I hope it will be a reminder of this very vibrant and creative person.

It takes my breath away...

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38